To be able to identify the basic ideas of government; to define “state of nature,” “natural rights,” and sovereign; to understand the ideas of a social contract.
What are the benefits of government and law? What evidence do you see of this in the world around you today? (in Google Classroom: Who am I, Dystopia?)
- “Why Government?” from iCivics.org (IA) – 1
- “Excerpts from Leviathan” by Thomas Hobbes (E) – 2
- “The Bill of Rights” James Madison (IT) – 3
- “The Code of Hammurabi” (IT) – 4
- “I am the People, the Mob” by Carl Sandburg (P) – 6
- Political Society by John Locke (NF) – 5
- From ‘A Time for Choosing’ Speech (NF) – 7
- State of Nature
- Natural Rights
- Social Contract
In the context of “Excerpts from Leviathan” by Thomas Hobbes, which is more important: freedom or security? According to Hobbes, are both possible? Cite evidence from this text, your own experience, and other art or literature in your answer.